Friday, December 7, 2007

I think of my work as a diary of the mundane. Like a tourist even at
home, armed with my camera: I collect my compositions and subject
matter from my immediate surroundings, and the places I visit. I look
for strong light, and bright color – elements to excite me as a painter.
Conceptually, I am interested in the landscape of contemporary life:
the spaces, places, and things that exist around us. Landscape and
the way we as a civilization shape it are a major theme of my work.
Lately, I’ve been collecting dumpsters, an emblem of contemporary
urban lifestyle.I love the bright colors, the distressed and rusty metal. I also
find a lot of imagery when I’m driving in my car – the freeways, the
construction, bright orange pylons, piles of earth, big trucks, the
lay of the land and the road. I guess I’m a bit of an
environmentalist, and I am alarmed by the rate of speed our world is
changing right in front of our eyes.
I sometimes feel nostalgic for the old architecture and the open
fields of the past, but I also like to think of my paintings as a way
to slow down the present – a visual meditation on the world we live in.

3 comments:

Om Mani Padme Hum said...

I really enjoy your art. Your paintings are ensrouded with silence and stillness. They truly are visually meditative and are very helpful in sloooowing people down, in this face paced world. It seems we go so fast, we don't even notice the beauty right in front of us.

I love how you shine a light on ordinary objects, like garbage dumpsters and you are able to see the indescribable beauty in it. It's a true gift.

Peace
om mani padme hum

RACHEL MAXI said...

Thank you.

Scooter Bear said...

I was sent a link to some of your art for the truck pictures. I left with the insight that the beauty in old dumpsters is a similar flavor. You have shown me a way through the dilemma of restoration vs. simply making a functional dumpster. It always makes me a little sad when I paint over a perfectly beautiful, but non-functional rusty patch of metal. I more fully understand John Jerome's ending of his book Truck, as he described the final result of his restoration effort where the cab still hung like tired, shoulders with bone loss.